Algorithms are everywhere and some have been around for thousands of years. These 15 are some of the most influential or important ones used in science, math, physics, and computing.
- Babylonian Algorithms Are the Oldest Ever Found
- Euclid's Algorithm is Still in Use Today
- The 'Sieve of Eratosthenes' is an Ancient, Simple Algorithm
- Boolean (Binary) Algebra Was The Foundation For The Information Age
- Ada Lovelace's Algorithm Was the First Computer Program
- Fast Fourier Transform Breaks Down Signals Into Frequencies
- Google's Ranking Algorithm (PageRank) Could Be the Most Widely Used Algorithm
- Monte Carlo Method (Metropolis Algorithm) Was Used at Los Alamos
- The Simplex Method for Linear Programming was Widely Adopted by Industry
- Krylov Subspace Iteration Methods Are Still Used Today - the deceptively simple task of solving equations of the form Ax = b.
- Kalman Filter is Great For Predicting the Future, sort of
- QR Algorithms For Computing Eigenvalues Have Proved Incredibly Useful
- The Fortran Optimizing Compiler Could Be The Most Important Event in Programming History
- Quicksort Is Great at Helping Sort Things
- JPEG and Other Data Compression Algorithms Are Incredibly Useful